Uncategorized

Foreign aid worker killed in Nasir

A woman in Unity state, South Sudan, can carry home her food. Photo: WFP/Sabine Starke

An employee of the World Food Programme (WFP) was shot dead Tuesday by an armed assailant in Nasir County in South Sudan’s Upper Nile state, local authorities said.

Nasir County Commissioner Changkuoth Ruon Jal told Radio Tamazuj on Wednesday that the Kenyan national, identified as Howard Kaguyira, was serving as a coordinator for food airdrop operations.

The staffer was killed around 5 a.m. in Ngueny village after arriving a day earlier with colleagues to facilitate a food distribution by air, the commissioner said.

Jal condemned the killing and said authorities had opened an investigation.

“The body of the deceased was transported to Bor at 11 a.m. yesterday,” he said. “We do not know the motive for the killing because there had been no prior interaction between the deceased and the suspect. However, the suspect was reportedly intoxicated throughout the night, and we believe alcohol may have influenced the incident.”

The suspect, identified as Changkuoth Jok Duop, remained at large, and a manhunt was underway, Jal said. He added that the suspect’s wife and brother had been detained.

Changkuoth Wiyual, acting director of the Relief and Rehabilitation Commission in Nasir County, described the killing as “a tragic loss for the communities that rely on humanitarian food assistance coordinated by the World Food Programme.”

The local relief official said the attack was “a serious blow to our relief efforts,” adding that authorities’ priority is to ensure the safety of aid workers while continuing to serve vulnerable populations in the region.

Reached for comment, Tomson Phiri, the World Food Programme’s head of partnerships, communications and media, said he was not immediately available to comment on the incident.

The United Nations has repeatedly described South Sudan as one of the most dangerous countries for humanitarian workers.

South Sudan has experienced renewed fighting in recent months between government forces and fighters loyal to the Sudan People’s Liberation Army-in-Opposition.

The United Nations says about 280,000 people have been displaced by fighting and aerial bombardment since late December, including more than 235,000 in Jonglei state alone.

Humanitarian operations have been disrupted by attacks and looting. Observers say both sides to the conflict have at times blocked aid from reaching areas where they believe civilians support rival forces.

The World Food Programme earlier this month suspended operations in Baliet County in Upper Nile state following repeated attacks on a convoy delivering humanitarian assistance.