South Sudan government 'approves' ceasefire deal
South Sudan's government on Friday "approved" a cessation of hostilities, protection of civilians and humanitarian access deal brokered by the East African regional bloc IGAD.
The agreement was signed with opposition groups last week after South Sudan’s stakeholders agreed to revive the 2015 peace agreement.
"The president and the cabinet have now decided that the agreement is approved and should be taken to the South Sudan legislative assembly for approval and ratification," Martin Elia Lomuro, Minister of Cabinet Affairs, said after the cabinet meeting.
Martin pointed out that the accord’s goal was "reaching the necessary political solutions for South Sudan."This is good news for us. I know the people of South Sudan don’t believe that we want peace but they must believe it this time,” he said.
The deal agreed by the warring parties, according to the minister, would stop fighting for the sake of peace and development in South Sudan.
“We have agreed on the terms, articles, sub-articles, and provisions of the agreement as a whole without any hesitation. It is shameful to see our people suffering,” he said.