Military court closes case of General Buay
The trial of General Stephen Buay closed last month as military court in Juba awaits the president’s signature for final verdict, the military said.
Lul Ruai Koang, spokesman of the South Sudan army, told Radio Tamazuj on Friday that the military court closed the trial of the senior army officer after listening to all parties.
“After the trial closed, all documents were submitted to the army chief of staff and then to President Salva Kiir,” he said, adding that the documents would be returned to court for final ruling on the case.
In April, the military court slapped treason charges against Buay, who pleaded not guilty to all charges leveled against him.
A former commander of the 5th infantry division, Buay was captured during clashes with government troops in Mayom County in May 2018, after being accused of trying to rebel against the government.