Government, rebels blame each other for fresh fighting
South Sudan’s government and the main rebel group led by the country’s former First Vice President Riek Machar have again accused each other of breaking the ceasefire deal signed in December last year.
The truce asked warring parties to cease hostilities and keep forces in their bases while calling for release of war prisoner and political detainees.
Lam Paul Gabriel, Spokesman for the SPLA-IO rebel group, told Radio Tamazuj Friday that the government forces launched multiple attacks on rebel-controlled areas in Imatong, Yei River and Lol states.
Lam said the government forces attacked their position in the Pogee area in Imatong state this morning.
He added that the government forces also attacked their positions in the area of Dulu near Raja town in Lol state, while citing separate attack on their defensive positions in Minyori area, 5 miles along the Yei-Maridi road this morning.
But Lol state minister of information Omar Isahaq and Yei officials denied knowledge of any clashes with rebel forces today.
Meanwhile, the governor of Imatong state Tobolio Alberio confirmed fighting with rebel fighters in the state today morning.
However, he accused the rebels of launching attacks on their base in the area of Pogee this morning.